Field Greens with Bacon, Sugared Pecans, and Goat Cheese
Yield: 6 servings
8 to 10 cups baby field greens or torn leaf lettuce
6 to 8 pieces bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (or feta)
1 recipe Balsamic Maple Vinaigrette
1 recipe sugared pecans (below)
- In a large bowl, toss together field greens, bacon and goat cheese.
- Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to coat evenly. Add sugared pecans and toss again.
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 cup pecan halves
- Place brown sugar and water in a heavy skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Add pecans and cook, stirring constantly, until all water evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Spread pecans on parchment paper to cool. Store in airtight container.
Balsamic Maple Vinaigrette
Yield: about 2 1/4 cups
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 large shallot, minced
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Place all ingredients in a large jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to mix well. Refrigerate until needed; shake before using.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 8 dozen cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2, 12-ounce packages chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Spray cookie sheets with non-stick coating.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, shortening, white and brown sugars and vanilla, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture and beat well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls (about 1-inch wide plops) onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Gingered Pear Chutney
Yield: about 5 pints
10 cups peeled, chopped pears
4 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup raisins
¼ cup finely chopped fresh ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Place all ingredients in a heavy kettle or Dutch oven and stir to combing. Set kettle over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thick, about 1 – 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wash jars, lids, and rings in hot soapy water or in the dishwasher. Place in a kettle of boiling water. Keep at a low simmer until needed.
- Use tongs to remove jars, one at a time, from simmering water and fill with simmering chutney mixture, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Add lids and rings, tightening to “finger tight.” Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Let me show you how to spin sugar for a special dessert!